Sunday, January 3

Revolutions not resolutions

Last year I accidentally made a new years resolution. Yes, that sounds stupid but did. I decided that I wanted to lessen my impact, shrink my foot print, that sort of thing.

I didn't make a resolution in so many words. 'I won't do this' or, as the taught us in school to be more positive about self denial, 'I will do this' In fact my resolution, such as it is, contained so many exceptions and so much hedging language that it doesn't compress in to a catchy phrase.

I wasn't going to buy any new clothes.

Except...

  • Things that would wear out (like a pair of jeans or pyjamas)
  • Gear (for camping, not freezing to death and other things with safety concerns)
  • Underwear
  • Guide Uniform
  • Fabric

Everything else has to be second hand. I didn't make it an official resolution because I knew I'd break it. And I did, although at the time I didn't know that unemployment would help me keep on the straight and narrow. Besides it's just a thing I decided in January and not anything I put together for new years.

I sinned in Disney World, for a job interview, and shopping in the sales with my Dad last week. But I'm not giving up my not-resolution. I'm going to try to stick with it, let myself off for the little things and feel smug for at least making a small difference to my consumption levels.

This year it's happened the same way although due to a festive spike in our consumption levels. Christmas gifts have brought me three things: a Wii Fit (thanks Dad!), a pair of trainers (thanks Boyfriend!) and a journal (thanks Grandma!). Which means I'm exercising more, scribbling more, and running again.

I enjoy these things. That is why I'm doing them. And I'm not stressing about how I have to do it all everyday. Well, I'm trying not to. I'm enjoying the movement and enjoying the pen between my fingers. Who knows how long it will last. But I'm thinking that doing something that I love creates slightly more sustainable habits than telling myself that I have to do something.

And let me finish by belatedly wishing you a wonderful New Year.

No comments: